- It’s a chance to carry on working after retirement age and keep earning – although this may be less than previously
- It may give you more free time to enjoy the things you want to do
- It will give you the opportunity to enjoy some of the positive aspects of continuing to work, such as the social interaction
- However, it means taking a decision about when to take your pension benefits – there may be tax implications if you work while drawing a pension
- When will you decide to fully retire?
Semi-retirement – your options
Semi-retirement can cover a range of ways of working, but at its heart, it means reducing the hours you work in later life. It could be as simple as working part-time, remaining with your employer in a consultancy role, or perhaps working for six months out of the year, taking the rest of the year off.